About this flight
Lourensford Estate was once part of neighbouring Vergelegen, which was established by Willem Adriaan van der Stel in 1709. The Estate has a proud history as a world class fruit farm and the winemaking tradition was revived when Dr Christo Wiese purchased Lourensford in 1998. Early History The earliest traces of human activity in the Hottentots Holland Valley are to be found at Grootnek and Uitzicht, two locations deep in the heart of Lourensford Estate. The Uitzicht stoneage midden has early and middle stoneage artifacts (150 000 – 200 000 years BC) that are leached out of the soil by winter rains. After this period, San peoples occupied the Valley and a single painting remains, as well as flint arrowheads and bone tools which leach out of the soils. Following them were the Quenaku or “Red People” responsible for opening the long-distance trading trails. Again at Uitzicht and barely 100m from the stone age midden is a Quena astronomical conservatory, which formed an integral part of a cosmological religion. The Khoi-Khoi (Man-Man) and Khoi-San (Naked Man) were well established in the area when the Dutch arrived in Table Bay in the 1600s.